A Russian painter, watercolourist, graphic artist, art critic and historian of architecture. Born in Kaluga, in the ancient noble family. He received art education at Orel drawing school, then he studied at St. Petersburg school of painting and drawing of Y. Goldblat. In 1903 he graduated from the architectural department of Kazan art school, where his teachers were K. Myufke and F. Amlong. In 1903 he entered the architectural office of St. Petersburg Academy of Art, where he studied with breaks uo to 1915. In the years of 1904 - 1914 he traveled across the cities of Europe, Russia and Ukraine, he studied architectural monuments, completed a large number of architectural drawings, which he usually toned with watercolour, gouache or pastel. In 1909 with the great success he held a solo exhibition in the Academy of Arts. He published several articles on architecture, painting and decorative art in such magazines as "Apollo", "Architect", "Capital and Homestead" with his own illustrations. In 1917 he was the member of the Russian National Commission for Museums, together with O. Benois he elaborated the project of museumification of Tsarskoe Selo, organized the restoration and study of palaces and parks. In 1918 he came to Kyiv, where he became the head of the architectural department of the Ukrainian Committee for Protection of Historical Monuments and antiquities. In 1919 he was appointed a curator of the collection belonging to B. Khanenko and V. Khanenko, made its cataloue, then gave several descriptions of the collection. From1935 till 1936 in Paris and London with great success there were held the exhibitions of the artistХs watercolors dedicated to ancient synagogues in Central and Western Europe. His works are kept in Luxembourg Museum, the Museum of Decorative Arts in Paris, the Art Museums of Milan and Rome.