A French painter and graphic artist. Born in Ukraine in the Polish family. From 1885 till 1888 he studied at Odessa Drawing School, then continued his studying in Warsaw. In 1889 he moved to Paris. He studied at the Julien Academy under the guidance of J.-P. Laurent. Since 1891 he entered the circle of the journal La Revue Blanche, met with H. Toulouse-Lautrec. In the years of 1895 - 1900 he was a member of the "Nabi"group together with such artists as P. Signac, P. S_rusier, M. Denis, P. Bonnard. In the Polish circles of the capital he found his friends; among them were G. Apollinaire and M. Curie, with whom he established friendship for years to come. Under the influence of P. Signac he practised pointillism. He painted impressionistic landscapes of Brittany and southern France, portraits and still lives; he often depicted interiors and the scenes of motherhood. Since 1900 he found his place among post-impressionists. From 1902 till 1911 working in the open air in Barbizon, he made friends with K. Kuznetsov. In 1895 he exhibited his works in the salons: Autumn, Independent, Tuileries, the National Union of Fine Arts, participated in the group exhibitions in France. During 1920 - 1940 he gained wide popularity. In 1925 he introduced his etchings in the pavilion "Book Art" at the International Exhibition of Decorative Arts in Paris. In 1934 he founded Art Museum Collioure, in southern France.