A famous Russian artist, an outstanding representative of the Russian symbolism. Born in Moscow. In the late 1880 he studied in private art studios in Paris, from 1894 till 1900 - at Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture under the guidance of A. Arkhipov, L. Pasternak and V. Serov. He also attended the private studio of K. Korovin. One of the organizers of the "Blue Rose" association (1907). Member and exhibitor of the Union of Russian Artists (1905 - 1910), the New union of painters (Petersburg, 1905), "Venok" (Petersburg, 1908). Participated in the exhibitions of the Russian art in Paris (1906), Vienna (1908), Brussels (1910, Honorary medal of the exhibition). He held a solo exhibition in Brussels (1907). Active member of "The World of Arts" (1911 - 1916). Since 1918 he lived and worked in Yalta, he worked as a chairman of the Commission for the Protection of Artistic Treasures of the Crimea. He emigrated in 1920. For some time he lived in Sofia and Berlin, in 1923 he settled in Paris. He fruitfully worked as a theater artist; together with N. Goncharova and M. Larionov he created sketches of costumes and scenery. He worked as a teacher in the Russian Art Academy of T. Sukhotina-Tolstaya (1929 - 1930), he was a member of the leaders of the Union of the Workers of the Russian Art (1931). He took part in the exhibitions of the Russian art in Birmingham, Brussels (1928), Copenhagen (1929), Belgrade (1930), Prague (1938). His solo exhibitions were held in Paris (1929, 1930, 1931, 1938, 1949). He gained wide popularity as a portrait artist. His works are stored in the State Russian Museum, the State Tretyakov Gallery, in the Art Museums of Saratov, in Astrakhan Art Gallery, in the Art Museums of Paris, Belgrade, Sofia, Prague and Stockholm.